Sunday, February 22, 2009

What Matters Most

I stare. Ever since I was little, I have always been pretty observant. I notice people's expressions, how they conduct themselves, what they're wearing, how they treat others, and their unique mannerisms as I strive to better understand them as a person. This is not to say that I care what they're wearing, I just feel like all these little things that I observe are bits and pieces of who they are. It's interesting to see what they do (for example) when they get nervous--pull their hair behind their ears or rub their forehead...

As I was sitting in church today, trying not to think about how much I miss Casey, I was also observing people. I love it when I feel like I'm brought back down to square one (what really matters). I looked around at all of the many different people…different hair, different clothes, different colored skin…people of different sizes and shapes and ethnicities. We are all God's children. We are all facing different challenges and trials. We all deal with anger/happiness/sadness/pain differently. We are all at different stages of our lives.

We are all God's children.

Who is to say that Samantha's broken leg is not the most traumatic episode of her life? Just because you have broken your leg skiing every year and the ER surgeons know your name, this doesn't lessen Samantha's experience. Empathy is something that we need to have to combat selfishness. Each person has their own background, their own fears, their own obsessions, their own relationships, their own insecurities, and their own worries. Each is valid (even if they are irrational). In life, our goal is to help people as much as we can, love them, serve them, and learn to deal with everything that life throws our way, as well. We're all in this together. We're all of equal and great worth in the eyes of the Lord.

As I was driving away after church, I looked at the cars in the parking lot. Some were old, and some were brand spankin' new. You could tell that some were very well cared for by their owners, and others were just a means to an end (travel from point a to point b). The world tells us that certain things will make us better: that certain things will make us more marketable or more cool. Life is, after all, about getting things, right? That hot new car…that brand new phone…the latest and the best in technology…that big house…these are things that we're striving for, right? Those aforementioned 'things' are not inherently bad, but they can make us lose sight of our real goal. Our real goal…what's that? I think that our goal is to learn about ourselves (our talents, our strengths, our weaknesses), to learn about and live the gospel and then share that combined knowledge to help others.

Two of our friends just recently got engaged and we are so excited for them. It made me think about a first glance into a prospective relationship and the things people first think about. Remember the dreaded dating game? Is it really important that he has that shiny red sports car, or that she has perfect barbie plastic legs? (Ok…some of the men might disagree on that one), but really…really…what is important here? Things don't matter. It's the journey we take, the people we bring along with us, and the impact we have made that really matter.


For future blog posts you will want to check out our new blog found here.

And because no blog post is complete without pictures, here is one that makes me smile…



Thanks again, Virg!

1 comment:

Shawni said...

Such great thought, Allie. Now I'm off to check out your new blog. Whenever I come over here I get all giddy excited for you guys!!